Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Culture – What does it mean?

I want to start it with this question because I realize that for every person it has a different meaning. People refer to this word as art, beliefs, behavior, ideas or activities relating to literature, art, and music of a particular society or group of people. I totally agree with all these definitions, but I believe that there are more definitions about it such as family, language, identity, stereotyping, raising, expectations, economic situation and so on. I refer to family because this is the place, in which society begins, and also, in many cases families are part of different countries and consequently have different cultures.
Now I would like to talk about the elements that are part of my culture answering the next questions:
What are the important elements of my culture?
The important elements of my culture are : my beliefs, behaviors, ideas, family, language and identity. Let me tell you why these elements are part of my culture :
Every one of them is part of my culture and part of me. I truly believe that culture is everywhere and can be represented in many ways. Of course for every person culture is different, with this I want to say that for somebody art is a famous painting from Leonardo Da Vinci but if this person see a graffitti wall from some group of boys, it is not going to consider it art just a draw on the wall.
Which of those do I think I can easily give up?
For me, this is a hard question to answer. All the elements that I mentioned before are important, but if for some reason I have to give up could be my language. I could learn other language and stop speaking my language. Actually, learn something new is always very interesting for me. Of course, I am always going to feel more comfortable talking in my language but I can get accustomed to speak other language.
Which do I think important to keep?
I keep the rest of the elements of my culture. All of them are essential in my life. I have to give an honored mention to my family. Every member of my family taught me my beliefs, behaviors and ideas. All these elements helped me to build my identity that is the way I am.
So I have to say that my family is the best of my cultural elements. The importance of it is reflected in every aspect of my life. My decisions are based on the advices and life lessons that they gave me since I was born and until now, because they still advice me when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment